Friday 26 April 2013

How 'smart' is SMART?


JUST became aware of a startling realization.... I am now seriously concerned that my 'Smart TV' may actually be smarter (in several different scenarios) than am I.  Now that's real cause for significant 'pause for reflection'...... I suddenly found myself in 'the little engine that could' mode..... "I think I can... I think I can....."

I am only approximately 150 years old and was sitting (as uncomfortable as it then was) on 'the bleeding edge' of technology in the early '80's.... I was sooooo computer literate that I astounded even myself..... yet with this 'new' technology 'stuff' .... I feel lucky to even understand a modicum of the possibilities. OK, I can deal with that, but tonight..... my 'Smart TV" informed me (I don't want to go into details here) that it could record ANY program that I might want to watch while I am away next week!! I couldn't believe that what it told me could be true!!

Oh well....  but now tonight I kinda feel like on my next birthday I will be at least 151+ with the possibility of an additional 50 years.... what can I say!  It sort of feels like 'Technology Wants' to supplant 'Missing Anything'.... but at that very same time we could be possibly missing 'everything'.... everything that happens in the MOMENT that we miss while we are watching what our "Smart TV's" recorded for us to watch later.... and so taking up even more of 'now' time.

Why do we continually endeavor to evade 'the moment'... 'the now'?! It is a question and I find that I  am swimming in the answer, hoping for a solid 'hand-hold' .......

Sending out love
Merrill

2 comments:

  1. LOL I know how you feel Merrill. There is so much I do not know, and quite a bit I'm not interested in learning. Like the smart phones... Do I really need that on top of everything else in my head? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. But on the upside, when you have a program recorded, you can watch it when you want ie it fits into 'your' time frame, not the programmers and ALSO and most importantly, you can speed through the adverts and thus not have to be mired down in their rubbish. :)

    ReplyDelete